ProTrak Version 348 looks solid to me | General Discussions | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
ProTrak Version 348 looks solid to me
August 9, 2018
11:32 am
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Friends,

I've recently done a very large number of paper sessions and have concluded that ProTrak Ver. 348 is a good and solid version to continue on with.  

A while ago I started a forum thread "Load / Empty ratio gone Wacko" and that started me on a search for a good and solid version of ProTrak. Thanks to Bob Butler's comment on July 29 wrt checking my car order data when I use different versions of ProTrak, my quandary of whether it was a version of ProTrak or some inadvertent click on a radio button somewhere in one of my ProTrak data folders that was causing the Load Empty ratio to go wacko was solved. Fortunately it was not a problem with any of my many ProTrak data folders; but rather which version of ProTrak I was currently working with.  My layout uses 38 car orders for my (Presently) Monday only operations. However when I started looking at car orders following Bob's comment I found that using the same ProTrak data folder my car orders varied between 1 and 68 depending on what ProTrak version I was executing at the time. 

So the heads up here is that IF you start using an OLDER version of ProTrak than you are currently using please immediately check to insure that all your car orders are as you know they should be.  I actually (following Bob's comment) made an Excel file with my Way Bill and car order data in it as when I started testing with Ver. 348 and my current ProTrak data folder I indeed had to rebuild my car order data. 

I've been sorta shadowing Bob B wrt what version of ProTrak we are currently using/testing although our criteria for a good or bad version are indeed different. I'm fully convinced that there are problems with Version 350 and upward. It appears as though there was never a Ver. 349 that was released.

In summary with Version 348 

1. I can print work orders for trains going from RVS-Yd to staging - could not do that with Ver. 352 or 351

2. My load/empty ratios do not go any lower than about 63/37

3. A problem using Ver 352 that came to light when I printed out the paperwork for my present on-layout operating sessions wherein a Work Order showed 7 cars in the outgoing consist however the corresponding Switch list only listed 5 cars in the outgoing consist with the missing two cars shown as pickups at Front Street even though the cars were presently in RVS-Yd did not occur when I used Ver 348.

Hope this helps

Joe Brann

Orlando, FL

The following users say thank you to Joe-SVL for this useful post:

Mark Stafflrd
August 9, 2018
5:04 pm
Bob
Members
Forum Posts: 53

Joe,

I ran 350 - 360 with problems of no cars for customers, no OV traffic, routing problems.

Started using 348 and everything is working for my operation.

I've run 6 sessions and traffic is moving.

Bob Butler

The following users say thank you to Bob for this useful post:

Mark Stafflrd
August 9, 2018
6:47 pm
Mark Stafflrd
Members
Forum Posts: 58

Bob, Joe,

Thankyou for your analysts of the stability of the various versions of Protrak.  So far I haven’t worked out how to use the program.  I’m still struggling with all that I have to do to get Protrak working.  Having a stable program will no doubt be key if I am to finally “get” how to work the software.

Many thanks in pointing me to the right version to use gentlemen.

Mark Stafford.

a lone Australian newbie 

August 9, 2018
10:48 pm
John V
Members
Forum Posts: 43

Hi,

Joe, thank you for your analysis.

Mark, remember to ask if you have problems.

Collectively we have worked through much if not all you will experience.

Best,

John Valle

Freelanced GN Rachel Branch in 68

The following users say thank you to John V for this useful post:

Mark Stafflrd
August 10, 2018
9:07 am
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243

Mark,

There is an old saying that goes "there is no such thing as a stupid question" .  So in light of that let me ask whether you have downloaded the ProTrak Basic Manual (PTBM) from the ProTrak forum site.  Yes, It is not current with any recent version of ProTrak. BUT it is still a great means to get started using ProTrak.  Doug Seymour who was the main person developing the PTBM has done a great job in walking new users thru things slowly.  There may be some small / slight variations in the many many screen shots that Doug has included in the PTBM but you should be able to work around that.  If not don't hesitate to either 1) ask a question here on the forum as John V has written or 2) write directly to me at Joebrann@AOL.com subject = Mark inquiry.

Joe Brann

Orlando, FL

The following users say thank you to Joe-SVL for this useful post:

Mark Stafflrd
August 10, 2018
11:00 pm
Mark Stafflrd
Members
Forum Posts: 58

Thankyou for your support men.  Joe yes I have downloaded the Protrak user guides etc and I have asked the group and Jim for help.  But unfortunately right about the time that Jim left us I had my laptop (that I ran Protrak on) melt down.  I lost nearly everything I had done up to that point.

I’m not sure precisely why but Jim’s passing had a profound effect on me.  Even though I have never met him or indeed any of you  I put Protrak to one side.  Like I said I have no idea why, but there it is.

But more recently my thoughts turned to paying homage to Jim’s modelling effort and the realisation that I do want to run his code.

Personaly I am saddened that Protrak will not live on (past you and I “the current users”) but the family have made their choice and that is as it will be.  

So,  I am determine I too shall become a current user.

Aussie Mark

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489