2017 ProTrak Weekend - Glenwood, Maryland | ProTrak Weekends | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
2017 ProTrak Weekend - Glenwood, Maryland
March 31, 2017
2:50 pm
friscomike
Admin
Forum Posts: 130
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
On behalf of Jim Brewer, here is an update for the Spring 2017 ProTrak Weekend.

======================================================
Hi all,

Just a reminder the Spring 2017 ProTrak weekend will be held in Glenwood, MD this year, Wednesday, May 3 through Sunday, May 7.

There is no registration fee or cost to attend the gathering; each attendee pays their own meals and hotel; most of those attending will be staying in the Frederick MD area, approximately 25 miles from Glenwood. Information on Frederick hotels is posted on the ProTrak web site.  There are closer, and more expensive, hotels nearby in Ellicott City and Columbia.

This is an excellent time to gather with others interested in prototype operations and especially ProTrak.  Jim Moir, designer/owner of the ProTrak program will be available for one-on-one consultation.  This is especially helpful for new users as well as those who have unique operations situations on their model railroad. Additionally, other users freely share their knowledge of the program.

We will be operating on my HO Scale layout depicting the Norfolk and Western's Shenandoah Valley line, circa 1956.  We will run as many operating sessions as time permits.  Additionally, Jim Moir will give an overview of the changes to the ProTrak program over the past year; I will speak about my recent experiences installing and programming decoders.  Other topics may be added.

In addition to the above, we are planning a trip to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in Baltimore, as well as a visit to the layout of Howard Zane in Columbia.

Please contact me directly with any questions or concerns you may have at:

I'm looking forward to seeing  old friends and making some new friends.

Best wishes.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

May 14, 2016
11:03 am
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members
Forum Posts: 92

I am in the early stages of planning to host the 2017 ProTrak weekend, May 3 through May 7, 2017. I am interested in any questions/concerns you may have, and certainly open to any suggestions to enhance the weekend.

Hotel – To be determined, but most likely in Frederick, Maryland; Frederick is west of my home and a 25 minute drive to/from my house. There are numerous hotels and I will explore them in the next few months.  I am aware that some of you may bring your spouses/family members along for the weekend.  There are also hotels located in the Columbia/Ellicott City area, which is about the same distance east of me.

Travel – I live in Glenwood, Maryland, located in Howard County. My home is approximately equidistant from Baltimore, Washington, DC and Frederick.

• Driving – for those of you who will be driving my home is easily reached off of Interstate 70.
  • Arrive by Rail – Amtrak (http://www.amtrak.com) serves Washington Union Terminal, BWI Airport and Baltimore’s Penn Station. Rental vehicles are readily available at BWI; I don’t know how convenient it is to rent a vehicle at the other stations. Also, MARC, Maryland Rail Commuter, (https://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train) operates daily between Washington Union Station and Frederick.
  • Arrive by Air – there are three major airports in the area, Baltimore-Washington International (BWI), Reagan National Airport, and Dulles International Airport. All of these airports are served by the major airlines.

Restaurants – I will explore Frederick and locate some breakfast spots to suggest. For lunch, there is a Subway, Italian carry-out, and BBQ carry-out just up the street.  Dinners will likely be at a few of the local restaurants.  I would like your input regarding the Saturday evening dinner; there are many nice restaurants in Frederick to choose from; additionally, Baldwin’s is a former B&O station located on the still used Old Main Line and located in Sykesville, just east of my home.

My Railroad – I model in HO scale Norfolk and Western’s Shenandoah Valley line; the prototype ran from Hagerstown, Maryland to Roanoke, Virginia; I model the portion from Front Royal, VA to Waynesboro, VA. The era is August 1956 and a mix of steam and diesel power is used.  I used Digitrax Radio DCC.

Other Activities – I am planning to include a trip to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore; the museum is about an hour from my home; for now I would plan to have this trip on Thursday morning, followed by lunch; then return to my house for an operating session. I am open to suggestions for other activities you may enjoy, such as a layout visit.

Other Attractions – There is tons of shopping in the area; there are outlets in Hagerstown, MD, about 20 minutes west of Frederick; numerous malls in the region including Frederick, Columbia, and Rockville.

Frederick is home to the Civil War Museum of Medicine; it is also the burial place of Francis Scott Key; the Baltimore Orioles have a Single A Farm Team, the Frederick Keys. The Weinstein Theatre of Performing Arts hosts a variety of shows and musical groups.

For civil war buffs the Monacacy battlefield is just outside of Frederick; Gettysburg and Antietam are less than an hours’ drive each.

Washington, DC is a commuter train ride away from Frederick; there are numerous museums and attractions in the nation’s capital.

Let know if you have questions or suggestions.

Jim Brewer

May 15, 2016
11:24 am
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243

Jim,

Thanks for all the early details. wrt "breakfast spots" - In the beginning the group had to find a place to eat breakfast because Motel Six didn't have any breakfast service.  The same goes for the Knights Inn up in Kitchener. But if the hotels/motels in the Frederick area have a good breakfast, other than a meager continental breakfast, that is included in the room rate I'd be satisfied eating at the hotel before we head out to you layout.

Joe

July 4, 2016
8:59 am
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

A friend recently made me aware of these videos of my layout that I didn't know existed......have a look...

The area shown in the second video as "expansion" is Waynesboro, where N&W and C&O interchanged; the C&O operated the north and south "belt line" serving various industries.  I am presently working on this area and it should be operational by next May.

Jim Brewer

July 4, 2016
3:08 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Really looking forward to the Weekend, Jim.  Also looking forward to seeing video and running on your railroad.  Happy 4th to everyone!! Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 9:59 AM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

February 18, 2017
7:01 pm
rovetherr
Never far from the wrong side of the tracks
Members
Forum Posts: 4

I was thinking about attending the weekend this year, MD is about 4 hours less of a drive for me than MI.  However, I am starting a new job on Monday, so this year is out. Hope everyone has a great time, hopefully next year I will be able to attend, no matter where it may be smile!

paddy

The worse it runs, the better it pays

February 18, 2017
8:48 pm
Nashville
Members

Hi Paddy, sorry you can't make it.  Are you still on or with a railroad?? Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

February 23, 2017
3:45 pm
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

Paddy,

Good luck with the new job; if things change and you can make it would be great to see you.

Jim Brewer

February 23, 2017
4:57 pm
Joe-SVL
Members

Jim,

wrt airports --- when you fly do you use Dulles, BWI or Reagen?  Which do you suggest we use to come for your weekend?

thanks

Joe

February 24, 2017
10:35 am
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

Joe,

I use BWI; it is relatively easy to get in and out of; the rental car lots are nearby and there is a shuttle service for them. Since I am familiar with it I like it best.

National is located along the George Washington Parkway across the river from DC; I have flown into National on one occasion when a flight was redirected but never flown out of it; Dulles is located southwest of DC and accessed by a toll road; there is also Washington Metro Subway service; I have never used Dulles.

The biggest problem with National and Dulles is the Washington DC area traffic; you would need to use the Capital Beltway (I-495); if going directly from the airport to Frederick, you would then use I-270; the beltway is always jammed and 270 is a parking lot inbound to DC in the mornings and outbound in the evenings.  It is not as bad on the weekends, but still very heavy, especially the beltway.  If you were coming to or going from my house to National or Dulles, you would be using Connecticut and Georgia Avenues; both very, very heavy with multiple lanes and traffic lights.

BWI is also a hub for Southwest airlines; SW also flies into National but I don't know about Dulles.

BTW, I have suggested hotels in Frederick; my reasoning is it is about a 25 minute drive to my house, and there is far less traffic traveling I-70. The hotel prices seem to be a little cheaper overall. There are hotels in Ellicott City and Columbia, both of which are close to me and the prices vary; in fact, the closest hotel is the Turf Valley Inn and Resort but the room price is about $200 per night.  There is lots of traffic during rush hours with Ellicott City and Columbia.  I am trying to make things less complicated and less stressful for commute between the hotel and my house.

I hope this helps; let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Best wishes.

Jim Brewer

February 26, 2017
11:06 am
Joe-SVL
Members

Jim,

Thanks for all the detailed airport information.  It seems to me that maybe the best thing for me to do is to fly into Dulles, take Rte 28 to Rte 7 to Rte 15 into Fredrick.  Then check into the motel, and then take I70 down to your place.  Then on Sunday leave your place and fly out of BWI.  I haven't looked yet at what the car rental costs will be to pick up a car at IAD and drop it at BWI.

Joe

March 21, 2017
6:24 pm
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

All,

I am busy working on the layout getting it ready for the weekend, which is just a little over 6 weeks away!  I'm hoping to have a new area in service which includes a small yard and industrial switching; I've also been busy installing decoders...we will see!

Here is what I have planned as the tentative schedule:

Wednesday, May 3 - 1 pm and following - arrive, meet and greet, some operations and dinner (carryout or go out)

Thursday, May 4 - 9:30 a.m.  Meet at my house and car pool to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. http://www.borail.org/ We will follow this visit with lunch and then return to my house for operations. Probably order in pizza for dinner.

Friday, May 5 - 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. clinics; what clinics would you like? I think it would be appropriate for Jim to give a review of the major additions to ProTrak since last year; we will leave at 11:30 a.m. and car pool to visit Howard Zane's model railroad in Columbia, followed by lunch in Columbia; then return to my house for operations.  Dinner to be determined.

Saturday, May 6 - 9:30 and following Operations; our usual group dinner at about 6 p.m., location TDB.

Sunday, May 7 - 9:30 to ? - Operations and good byes.

Please let me know if there are any other activities you might like to explore in the area; also, I'd appreciate if you would drop me a line indicating if you will be attending the weekend.

I would ask if you have a Digitrax 40x simplex radio throttle to bring it along; I should have more than enough throttles but it will not hurt to have a few in reserve if necessary.  I do not have Digitrax Duplex radio, yet.

Looking forward to seeing you all here....

Jim Brewer

March 21, 2017
6:27 pm
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

Also, for those wanting more information, or if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at:

jim.brewer.3611@gmail.com

Jim B

March 21, 2017
8:17 pm
Nashville
Members

Hi Jim, sounds like it will be a great time. The B&O Museum and Howard's layout are 2 places that I've wanted to see!!  Just a thought, if the crew thinks it worthwhile, I wouldn't mind an open discussion session sometime on Saturday. We have found them very worthwhile at Jim's and it has allowed us to go into various areas of the program a little more in depth which has been very helpful to all. Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 7:24 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

March 22, 2017
2:11 pm
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

Great idea Andy! BTW, I'll have some more freight cars for the Nashville Road.

Jim

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 9:17 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

>

March 22, 2017
4:16 pm
Nashville
Members

Well thank you, Jim.  They will be much appreciated!!  Really looking forward to seeing you and all our friends again! 🙂 Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 3:31 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

March 22, 2017
5:52 pm
Fred
Members
Forum Posts: 43

Jim, would you post your street address so we  can find your house. I get into Baltimore at 4:30, will rent a car, and I am staying  at the Super 8 in Frederick. Leaving on Sunday out of Baltimore at 4:30. What you have planned sounds like a winner to me. See you all in about 6 weeks.

Fred

March 22, 2017
6:47 pm
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members

Fred,

Sure...here it is:

3611 Point Hitch Road Glenwood, MD 21738

443-864-2832

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jim

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:52 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

>

March 23, 2017
3:40 pm
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489

>and I am staying  at the Super 8 in Frederick. Leaving on Sunday 

We just made a reservation (we think) at the Super 8 as well.

Arriving Wed.  On Thursday a friend is picking up Natalie, taking her for a visit over at Crownsville, leaving me all on my own.   Leaving on Sunday to go over to Crownsville.

~~~

I like Jim's suggestions for the Agenda.  I certainly can give a review of new/edits/corrections to the program.  I am looking forward to a no-holds-barred discussion of what should be changed/added too.

I am so looking forward to visiting the B&O museum Thursday.   Bucket-list material!

Clinic (possible):  I am also looking forward to hearing from Jim about his new decoders and to what state he has programmed them.  Here, we have been debating procedures for consisting, speed matching and the use of BEMF ("stiction").  One of us is a fan of "only ESU", but I think that "possibly overly-restrictive".  I am also looking for suggestions about mixing sound/non-sound units in the same consist/lashup.  John Miller had mentioned that he has "at least one sound unit in each consist."   We have some issues with close speed-matching mixing various sound decoders and sound/non-sound.

So I am looking forward to hearing how Jim has solved all these issues (already... or in the next six weeks)!!

Jim

March 23, 2017
6:13 pm
Joe-SVL
Members

Jim B,

When you leave from your house and head to BWI do you go over and take Rt. 32  to 95, or do you go up to 70 and over that way?

Joe B

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489