2017 Protrak Weekend in Maryland | ProTrak Weekends | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
2017 Protrak Weekend in Maryland
May 9, 2017
2:17 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi All,

We had a great time at Jim Brewers and had a wonderful time operating on a great layout.  Jim kept us all busy and we all got to run a variety of trains including road trains, locals and industrial switchers.  Bob B and I worked the Viscose plant a couple of times together and it was a lot of fun switching this busy industry.  The first time, 30 cars were delivered for us to deal with.  We both had small GE industrial switchers and working together, we moved the cars about the plant and into its holding yard.  I've never seen a plant that big on a model railroad before!!smile 

I think that most of you have seen the video that we have been mentioning on the group.  It's even better in person!  Jim's story of how he spent time studying the area of the N&W that he has modeled which included actual visits to many of the areas along the line is very interesting.  When you realize that many scenes on the layout are very close to the real thing, it makes it even more fun to travel across Jim's railroad. 

Jim had us set up for a couple of road trips including the B&O Museum and Howard Zane's massive layout.  It was great to see some of the massive steam power that have been saved (stored under cover) by the Museum along with some really nice equipment displays in the roundhouse. 

I was blown away by the size and detail of Howard Zane's layout and I understand that he just keeps making it bigger, and at 80 years old!!  Now that's my hero!! wink  It was interesting when I found out that 3 of the several people in Howard's basement were Army helicopter pilots, including Howard!!   

We never starved during the week and I can tell you that I gained weight with all the good food and snacks.  Jim picked out some very nice restaurants for us to go to, and they are all over the place there!!

Although Jim Moir wasn't there, we did have a good discussion on the program which we all thought was very worthwhile.  It is really fun to see how others use the program and run their railroads.  We always learn something at these get togethers.

I must say that Jim has set a new high standard for a terrific Protrak Weekend and it will be one that will be hard to equal in the future.  Thanks to Jim and Judi for a great long weekend of fun and enjoyment and best of all, running trains.  We all missed those that couldn't make it and really missed Jim M but there is always next year and the year after!!

Best, Andy K

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

May 13, 2017
4:06 pm
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your update on the weekend with Jim Brewer.  Could you or some other participant provide feed back on how Protrak performed and/or the elements  that  were new or distinctive or that worked really well??

I would be interested in Jim B's take on the performance of PT during the weekend as well.

Thanks

Sorry I couldn't be there, I'll make every effort to attend next time!!

John

Any photos??

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489