Nashville Road 2018 Annual Protrak Weekend | ProTrak Weekends | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Nashville Road 2018 Annual Protrak Weekend
December 8, 2017
11:58 am
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi All, it's been a bit of time since I've posted. Bob Butler and I have decided to go back to Update 343 for operations on the Nashville since it appears to be a stable platform.  I had been working with Jim M to work with some of the issues that I was having on the Nashville. As Jim finally started to get full operations going on his railroad, he was seeing some of the issues that I was dealing with.  Update 360 and a few just before that, helped with some of those issues but also introduced a few new ones.  Jim was in the middle of a new update when he passed, so we are where we are now without any further corrections or fixes.

Since the Nashville is such a large layout with 6 railroads represented and over 70 trains on the daily schedule, working out of 3 very busy yards, some of the problems that I am personally still having with the program will never effect other layouts and they can continue to have very successful operating sessions.

After dealing with the problems that I have been hoping would be addressed for a number of years and now with no hope of any further corrections or updates, I have come to the conclusion that the only way that I will ever be able to get my railroad to operate the way that I want it to is to change my operating system.

First, I want to tell you that I still think that Protrak is the premiere operating program of all the computer based programs, and if I was going to stay with a computer based system, I would not leave Protrak.  If Protrak can't do what I need it to be able to do, I know that there is no other that is capable of it.

I am good friends with the Operations Road Show group that attend many NMRA National Conventions around the country.  They have been a wonderful addition to the Conventions and have given many model railroaders a chance to operate and learn operations with the Card Car / Waybill (CC/WB) system.  My longtime good friend John Young, a founding member of the ORS group and a few of their other members have been willing to work with me and have been very helpful in helping me develop a CC/WB program for the Nashville.  It is an ongoing process and will take months.

Now to get back to the subject of this message.  I have talked to some of the regular attendees of the Annual Protrak Weekends and asked if they would be interested in attending a last PT Weekend on the Nashville.  They have all told me that they would like to attend.  So, I am now announcing that Bob Butler, and all my Lansing friends and I will be hosting the 2018 Protrak Weekend May 2nd - 6th.  Although we won't have Jim with us, we have a group with a lot of experience with the program and it will still be very beneficial for anyone that wants to learn more about Protrak to attend the Weekend. 

For the future, I will be developing the CC/WB system over the next few months with my friends and plan to implement it after the Protrak Weekend. I personally still plan to stay active with the Protrak group and will hopefully be able to attend any future Protrak Weekends like the very enjoyable one we had at Jim Brewer's this last Spring. 

Bob Butler has been my right hand man at all our operating sessions and has done a lot of work on the Nashville data over the last few years and works the program during the sessions.  Bob will now be helping me implement the new CC/WB system for the Nashville but will continue to use Protrak on his own layout and his club's layout.  

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me anytime.  I will continue to do whatever I can to help and promote the Protrak program.

Best, Andy Keeney     

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

December 11, 2017
9:55 am
Fred
Members
Forum Posts: 43

Andy

I plan on being there. This would be a good opportunity for the group of users to get together and discuss what is working and what the final version of Protrak should be. I don't know what the future of Protrak may be, but it is still the best computer model railroad operating system out there even though it didn't get finished. It would be a shame to just let it just go away although as Microsoft keeps changing Windows someday there may not be a computer system that will run it.

Fred Kaser

December 12, 2017
11:09 pm
friscomike
Admin
Forum Posts: 130

Howdy,

I plan to be there.  Is it truly from Wednesday through Sunday?  Hope to ride the Texas Eagle to Chicago one last time!

Have fun,

Mike Corley

January 17, 2018
8:03 pm
friscomike
Admin

Hey Bob Butler, what is the name of the Protrak Weekend hotel we stayed in with the 57,000 types of beer and drunk barmaids?  I need to make reservations.  ~mike c

January 17, 2018
8:36 pm
friscomike
Admin

Okay, Texas Eagle and Blue Water tickets purchased.  Can't wait to see everyone.  Arriving on Wed evening and departing Sunday morning.  ~mike c

January 17, 2018
11:03 pm
Nashville
Members

That's great, Mike.  I'm really looking forward to seeing you and the crew!! Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 21:37, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

April 2, 2018
1:55 pm
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243

Group

Just tried to make a reservation at the Ramada Inn and found that it is unavailable for the dates May 2 to May 6.  I  take the Michigan Flyer bus from the Detroit airport out to downtown Lansing, i.e. I won't have a car. Where else might people with a car be staying for Andy's weekend?

Joe

April 3, 2018
6:20 am
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95

Hi joe,

i don’t have a room either and I will be driving, so we could stay in the same motel. I hope to arrive during the day on the 2nd and leave the morning of the 6th.

john Mitchell 

casowest

April 3, 2018
4:03 pm
Joe-SVL
Members

John Mitchell

Thank you very much for your reply and offer to drive. I also will arrive the afternoon of the 2-nd and leave near lunch time on Sunday. Andy is kind enuf to arrange for one of his friends to pick me up in East Lansing on the 2-nd at the Marriott hotel where the Michigan Flyer bus stops and to return me there on Sunday. I can simply meet you at Andy's on the 2-nd.  I'll contact you via e-mail wrt hotel thoughts.

Joe

April 19, 2018
10:41 am
Nashville
Members

Hi All,

An update on the Protrak Weekend.

I know that you have been letting me know when you are arriving but just in case I miss someone, please send me another email and advise when you are arriving, your mode of travel and if you need a pickup.  I don't want to leave anyone at the station!! 🙂

I've scratched the visit to Mike Burgett's since it will effect some people's schedule for arrival and departure on Saturday, and at this time, it may be better to be concentrating on Protrak to allow us to give each other as much help as possible now that Jim is gone.

I have reserved seating for 20 at 6:00PM on Saturday evening (May 5th) for our annual dinner at Finleys.  The front room is again ours and if we need more seats, they can squeeze a few more in.

Jim Switzer is hoping to make it down for the weekend, possibly arriving Friday afternoon (another reason that I canceled Mike's).

If any of you have any thoughts or questions for the weekend, please post them. 

For the future, we have some things to talk about.  This Forum is one of them and hopefully, Mike Corley can let us know if there is a future for a Protrak forum.

I would also like to remind everyone, although I will be switching over to card cards/waybills after this PT Weekend, I would still like to stay active with the Protrak group and I am always ready to host the group as I have in the past.  I guess that you all just have to decide if the visit and camaraderie minus Protrak operations would be enough to make it worthwhile. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing you all in just a couple of weeks. 

Best, Andy      

Best, Andy Keeney

April 19, 2018
2:10 pm
Jim Brewer
Glenwood, Maryland
Members
Forum Posts: 92

Andy,

I will be coming in on Thursday evening, May 3; my flight arrives in Grand Rapids at 6:10 p.m. I will have a rental car and will catch up with you and the group that evening. I'll probably grab something to eat before heading out to your house.

I look forward to a discussion regarding ProTrak, but have pretty much decided to switch to car cards/waybills; I'm interested in what you are doing along those lines. I am hosting a ops session for the Pro Rail gathering on April 29th; that will probably be my last use of ProTrak unfortunately.

I too would like to continue our annual gatherings regardless of if ProTrak is used.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Best wishes.

Jim

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM, ProTrak.org wrote:

>

April 19, 2018
5:02 pm
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95

I plan to arrive late afternoon on Wednesday May 2nd by car.

I hope to continue using PT on the freight side, but would appreciate a session on the use of car cards on the passenger side.

see you then

john Mitchell 

April 19, 2018
9:33 pm
Fred
Members

Andy

My flight on United airlines arrives Lansing at 5:32 PM on Wed May 2. Protrak is still going to be my operating system. See you all in about two weeks.

Fred

April 20, 2018
12:22 pm
Joe-SVL
Members

I too will be staying with ProTrak and I'll be using Ver. 352.

Because all my cars were in the wrong locations when we all sensed a problem, likely in the loading routine, I've gone back to my ProTrak folder when I was setting up for real op session 2. (I had run 4 total sessions and had the paperwork printed for session 5). But since I essentially have to take all the cars off the layout I've decided to do a total car inspection and that will take a little time, amidst my tree making activity.  However with Ver 352 I did run some paper sessions and my Load/empties rations ALL stayed within the range I recall from the 500+ paper sessions I ran before my first real op session in 2016. I did report an issue with Ver 352, namely that I cannot print a workorder for a train going directly from RVS-Yd to staging. I've also verified that this same situation occurs with Jim M's ProTrak folder and Andy's (I believe), and also the ProTrak folder from Andy's friend out there in Kansas.  I can easily use the Switchlist in place of the workorder to make up a train; but since my layout is small I print all my paperwork before I start operations. So I can easily switch to Ver 355 when I print a workorder and than switch back to Ver 352 for train operations.

Andy, I think your reasons for skipping Ron's layout are prudent.

See you all in a couple of weeks.

Joe

April 20, 2018
1:53 pm
John V
Members

Hi all,

While I will not be at the weekend, I wanted to chime in that I also plan to continue using ProTrak.

I have not run much recently so I am not sure which version yet.

It would be great if this forum could stay active.

A discussion of the pros and cons of the more recent versions would be a big help.

Thank you to all who have kept it going.

Best,

John Valle

Freelanced GN Rachel Branch in '68

May 8, 2018
3:29 pm
Fred
Members

Andy

I want to thank you for all of the effort you have put in to host the Protrak weekends for the past 13 years. It has resulted in some wonderful friendships that would never have come about with out these get togethers. It is unfortunate that Jim passed away before he got the program developed to the point where it would satisfy your operating needs. Good luck with the cards. Hey John M, if you read this, looking forward to making the trip to your place for what looks like will be a fun railroad to operate on. Thanks again Andy.

Fred Kaser

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489