C&NE on model railroad tour - Saturday March 25th, 2017 | General Discussions | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
C&NE on model railroad tour - Saturday March 25th, 2017
March 15, 2017
8:36 am
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

In 10 days the local Doubleheaders Annual tour of model railroads in this area is happening.  "This area" is the Waterloo Region plus the Guelph area in southwestern Ontario.

The C&NE will be on the tour for the third consecutive time.  Last year we had about 200 people, between 9am and 8pm.

Jim

March 20, 2017
1:12 pm
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243

Jim,

Best wishes for a great weekend !

Joe

March 22, 2017
7:24 am
Jim Moir
Admin

Joe,

Thank you.

~~~

Jim S. and I have been "operating" the railroad, stepping through the "day" using the new "Train segment-by-segment" listing as a guide.   We have been eliminating reliability issues as we go.   Mostly "frog-power" by adding relays.   I did some work on the Stewart C630s to bring them up to Bowser standards - I will talk about that later.

Yes, we have been working on the detector system.  We mounted all 40+ detector boards - there are 320 detected blocks.  Then we have been stringing the cables - power and the Grapevine main data cable.  The latter has been a major and time-consuming issue (because of the complexity of dealing with a three-floor railroad), which Jim S. has been doing.  We still have a ways to go to complete the detector installation.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Jim

March 26, 2017
1:50 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

Well the DoubleHeaders' Annual Tour is over for 2017 and Andy counted 129 names in the book.

Bob Butler had mentioned a few months ago he was coming up to help me - which was greatly appreciated.   But "Lo !" on Friday afternoon who turned up but Bob - with Andy Keeney and Jim Mull !  We had a nice chat upstairs and then a supper up at EJs.  Then more talking! Then Saturday from 9am we all ran trains, stepping through the schedule, in a logical manner even!   We were - although chatting with the many visitors at the same time, managed to get though another 1/3 of the day (perhaps even a bit more than that).  

The visitors tailed off about 7pm and so we (plus Natalie) retired to the den for a nice Levetto pizza supper, chatting until around 9:30 pm.

This was very much a "mini-ProTrak Weekend", what with the operations, the discussions and the camaraderie!

Thanks guys!

Jim

March 26, 2017
1:58 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

I need to mention that Jim Mull brought his micro-video-camera, which he had mounted in an ore-hopper car.   On Saturday, here, Jim ran across the railroad pushing ahead of one of his ordinary trains.

This camera has a "fish-eye" lens, so you can see around the corners ahead....just as you would naturally - much more fun to watch than a camera looking only straight ahead.

This certainly gives a unique view along the railroad, not visible any other way.  Thinking of both an engineer's view and a "railfan" view.

And then, watching the videos this morning I see two points that need work, and two rough spots I would not find otherwise.  Great for debugging.

Thanks Jim for bringing that camera along!

Jim

March 28, 2017
5:08 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Hi All, I've not had a chance to put a message with images together on the Weekend at Jim's.  I will do so as soon as I can.  

Just wanted you to know that we had a great time with Jim.

Now I'm off to a Division meeting on the Region Convention which we are hosting in 2018.  I'm also in the middle of a major upgrade of Gresham Yard. Pics to follow on that also. 🙂

Best, Andy 

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

April 5, 2017
6:53 am
Bob
Members
Forum Posts: 53

Had a good time with the Open House, and was fun working with ProTrak while talking to the guest.

I still think there was more then 129 people there.

Hope to help out again next year.

Bob Butler

Sandusky, OH

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489