Passenger topics from PT Jim Weekend 2015 | Operations | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Passenger topics from PT Jim Weekend 2015
October 30, 2015
8:18 am
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Jim,

Just a few items from the general discussion on passenger ops in PT:

1. For passenger trains using the format StgA/01/StgB/01/StgA, the program updates when it reaches stgB (intermediate stg update), but is not updating at the 24 hour update in the final stgA.  A similar format works for freight trains.

2. All the passenger cars at customers have 24 hour loading/unloading even though the relevant WBs have immediate loading/unloading at the passenger customer.

3. You indicated that the "Yardmaster/Route cars at Yards and Customers" routine does not affect cars in 01 passenger stations.  Is there a need to do this??  Does this routine already affect passenger cars at passenger station customers such as REA, Coach Yard, Diner Commissary, Post Office, etc.???  Should it??  I think it would help when setting up for an op session and trying to position passenger cars so that the appropriate trains can pick them up.

4. There is a linkage between cars at passenger customers and the 01 station (a station switcher), but no time-related linkage to the passenger trains using the station.  ie I have about 100 cars using the 01 customers during a 24 hour period, so would like to move the cars from the customer to the 01 station, where they can be assigned by PT to the one of the 26 daily thru passenger trains.  But, I don't want the cars slated for the 11:30pm train to show up in the 01 station at 6:00 AM.  You mentioned the possibility of using a manual system to determine the order of arrival at the 01 station, whereby I would identify and mark the cars  to be assigned to the switcher for transport to the 01 station in a timely fashion.  (or would they be assigned to the relevant passenger train, then transferred to the 01 station by the switcher)?  The first seems workable to me as part of my pre-op session preparation, but it would need some sort of routine to subsequently assign the cars to the relevant thru passenger trains (see #3 above).  It would also be helpful if the switch list for the passenger train for the train leaving staging would also identify the cars as PUs in the 01 station, so that both the engineer and the station master would know what was going out at the 01 station when they arrive.  I see doing this for the next 4 to 6 hours, since I run a 24 hour day in 4 to 6 op sessions.

Jim, I had a great weekend at your layout and appreciate the time spent with the other guys to talk about passenger ops.

John 

October 30, 2015
8:39 am
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489

John,

On "2" (about 24 hours being inserted), we found that bug during the Weekend.  The next Update will include that correction.

~~~

On "3", having a "classification routine" operative for passenger cars simply hasn't been added to the program.... there was in the past no need.  Now with there is.   I will add a "passenger car classification" outine.

~~~

On "4" we talked about my adding a "manual car" assignment window .... to StationMaster.

The idea is that you would select cars, which could be a customer, so the program would assign the cars to the switcher - which would in turn move the cars to the appropriate through train.

OK?

Jim 

November 1, 2015
9:15 am
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95

Hi Jim,

I thought that I had replied to this, but it didn't show up - and I thought that I was logged in.

Yes to 2, 3 and 4.

But 1 is important too, so I hope you find the relevant code.  #4 will need #3 active to be effective.

And don't step in #2, as Andy relates.

Thanks Jim,

John

November 1, 2015
10:38 am
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

You got my attention on the last one, John!!Laugh

Jim, I'm really happy that you are working on the passenger side since I hope to get passenger trains running as soon as I'm finished upgrading the switches.  Sounds like what we talked about during the Weekend will really make a difference to the passenger operations side of the program.  I will have a fair amount of terminal work on most passenger trains and really look forward to playing with it. 

Thanks, Andy (Mr #2 Wink)

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489