Cutlist car count - what is in Update 355 | User Updates | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Cutlist car count - what is in Update 355
July 17, 2017
7:38 am
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I had been getting reports that sometimes the number of cars on the Cutlist did not match the number of cars on the inbound train.   Working with Joe's data I was able to track this down.   Finally!

The issue related to train's being over-length.  A car (or cars) causing the train to be overlength were made extra on arriving at a Yd yard, and extra cars are not shown on a Cutlist (only cars in the train).  This issue only happened at a Yd yard that was a "last reporting point".

Update 355 includes an additional check - that prevents over-length cars being made extra at a last Yd yard.

Jim

July 17, 2017
8:10 am
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243

Jim

Thanks for the update. BUT it seems to me to be more to work on.  Yesterday afternoon I sent up to you a scanned copy of the Switchlist for Train 46 from my OP session 3. That train had 9 cars and the train length on the switchlist was listed at 396 feet which just happens to be 9*44.  As you saw when you reviewed my ProTrak data folder for my OP session 4 Train 45 (the connecting train w/Train 46) had a length of 440 feet which as you reported was 40-ft over length for that train.  So how did the length of a connecting set of trains go from 396 to over 400 ft?  Seems like the train length calculations for connecting trains are not in synch.

Joe

July 17, 2017
8:47 am
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Thank you much for this fix, Jim.   Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 8:38 AM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

July 17, 2017
8:50 am
Jim Moir
Admin

Joe noted:

>the train length on the switchlist was listed at 396 feet 

The train-consist I printed here, from your data, showed 440 ft.   That is what I was writing about.

Jim

July 17, 2017
9:08 am
Jim Moir
Admin

Also, in doing the many test runs with Joe's data I noted that sometimes the Cutlist car count was less than the number of cars on the train - correctly.   This happened because there were customers between the reporting points.   A train would leave with 7 cars, drop off one car at a customer leaving 6 cars on the train and appearing on the Cutlist.  Correctly.

Jim

July 17, 2017
10:55 am
Joe-SVL
Members

Jim,

I'm apparently missing something - What I haven't seen is an explanation for is how a train (i.e. #46) can leave RVS-Yd with 9 cars and a length of 396-ft, go directly to staging w/o stopping and then  return directly to RVS-Yd in the next session as connecting Train #45 with 8 listed cars and a length of 440-ft.  How can the same train loose a car and gain 44 feet. 

Joe

July 18, 2017
5:03 pm
Joe-SVL
Members

Friends,

I've been working today off-forum w/Jim wrt an issue which several of us have reported lately namely a train coming out of staging with X cars listed on the switchlist but X-y cars showing on the Cutlist. As Jim has commented this occurs when the train is over length. But the perplexing (at least to me) was how did an overlength connecting train get out of my RVS-Yd to staging w/o being overlength as it left RVS-Yd.  How this occurred was that a very looong time ago I had assigned apparently in a verrry arbitrary way an engine and caboose to SOME trains.  The case we were working on was that my train 46 had no caboose nor engine assigned to it when it went from RVS-Yd to staging.  So it's "train length" was 9*44. But train 46-s connecting train #45 did have an engine and caboose assigned to it so its length was 9*44 + engine length + caboose length, and these two additional lengths put the train overlength coming out of staging.

So to all of you out there who might be using connecting trains double check your data and make sure that the same engine and caboose are assigned to both of the connecting trains. Or drop ALL caboose and engine assignments as I am may do for the short term until I get a better handle on what power to assign to each train.

thanks again Jim

Joe

July 18, 2017
9:47 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Very good, Joe, thanks for the info. Another good reason to make sure all the blanks are filled in correctly!! 🙂 Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

July 19, 2017
7:59 am
Jim Moir
Admin

Just to be clear....

>Update 355 includes an additional check - that prevents over-length cars being made extra at a last Yd yard.

Which means that the car-count on the Cutlist will be correct ..... even if there is an "over-length".

~~~

So go ahead and assign power, and a caboose, to trains.

Jim

July 19, 2017
8:04 am
Jim Moir
Admin

2/2 responses.  Please see above.

>make sure that the same engine and caboose are assigned to both of the connecting trains

Not at all necessary.

The "Daily Summary" swaps, not only the cars between "connecting trains", but also the assigned power and caboose.

You can have different power-consists on two connecting trains.   

Jim

July 19, 2017
8:21 am
Joe-SVL
Members

>>>>make sure that the same engine and caboose are assigned to both of the connecting trains

Not at all necessary.

The "Daily Summary" swaps, not only the cars between "connecting trains", but also the assigned power and caboose.

You can have different power-consists on two connecting trains. <<<

Jim,

Thanks for the correction to my "instruction".  But from a practical standpoint although ProTrak can assign new power to a connecting train coming out of staging wouldn't most layout owners just use the same power to bring the connecting train up from staging as was used in the prior session to take the train into staging? My staging yard is fairly accessible, but I'm thinking of Andy's big yard at floor level on the opposite side of the wall from his Gresham Yard.  

Joe

July 19, 2017
10:17 am
Jim Moir
Admin

>wouldn't most layout owners just use the same power to bring the connecting train up from staging as was used in the prior session to take the train into staging?

What if the "connecting" trains work staging to staging?

What if the "connecting" train not in staging (in a yard) runs first?

Would you then need two sets of power?

Eh?

Jim

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489