Experimental Update for Multiple Home Railroads - Build 316 | User Updates | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Experimental Update for Multiple Home Railroads - Build 316
June 25, 2015
6:43 am
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just added to the "store" is an experimental Update which is includes the full functionality for "Multiple Home Railroads".  The Update is experimental, as - while I have tested individual bits of the new code - I have not been able to test the full ramifications of the new functionality.

1.  There is a new window where you may enter the list of homeroads.

2.  You should enter a "default" (home) yard for each railroad.  This may be left blank, but you would lose the option to have empty non-assigned cars routed to this Yd yard.

3.  Railroad #1 remains a "home railroad".

If the first entry in the data for "multiple home railroads" is blank, Railroad #1 is inserted as the first home railroad.

4.  The effect of a multiple home railroad is twofold: a) mty car routing, and b) car-loading.

If a customer is listed as being on a specific railroad, then the car-service rules are invoked for that customer.  i.e. for a load going "offline" a foreign (not a homeroad) car is loaded by priority; if the load is staying online a homeroad car is preferred.

Car loading online and in-staging is affected. 

(With many homeroads on the same railroad, you can see that the combinations of car loading get a bit 'large' and complex.   You are starting to model a good chunk of the entire North American system.)

~~~~

If you have a single homeroad, nothing changes.   You do not need to enter data in the new "multiple home railroads" window.

Please let me know what you find happening.

Jim

June 25, 2015
6:06 pm
Mark Stafflrd
Members
Forum Posts: 58

Hi Jim,

I will run it and see if I can't break it for you.

Aussie Mark

June 25, 2015
7:46 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

I broke it.

I have re-loaded the Update with corrections.

Jim

June 25, 2015
7:49 pm
Mark Stafflrd
Members
Forum Posts: 58

Jim Moir said
I broke it.

I have re-loaded the Update with corrections.

Jim

Hahahaha!   Ah the fun of being a developer.

June 29, 2015
7:38 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Hi Jim,

I just added the multiple home roads to the Nashville.  Will let you know how it goes over the next month or 2.  Sure wish that I could get through as session quicker!! Looks like I should spend more time in the basement!!Wink

Best, Andy

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

June 29, 2015
7:48 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

>Looks like I should spend more time in the basement!!

Yeahhheessss....

Jim

July 2, 2015
3:08 pm
friscomike
Admin
Forum Posts: 130

Howdy,

I began loading data using the new home roads update.  I have all seven railroads entered as home roads; however, I do not know how to identify the stations and subdivisions for each home road.  I can only see how to enter the data for the core segment (FTW).

Am I missing something?  After the last two weeks, I can barely think straight.

Happy rails,

Mike C

July 2, 2015
6:17 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Forgot that, Mike.  I need to change a couple myself.

I agree with you, Jim, more is better when it comes to model railroading!! 😉

Got the Fast Track jig and supplies out and am going to try my hand at it.  I plan on a major upgrade of Gresham Yard and will replace all the Atlas switches and also relocate all the ground throws to the fascia at both ends of the yard.

Best, Andy 

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

July 6, 2015
6:16 am
Jim Moir
Admin

friscomike said
Howdy,

I began loading data using the new home roads update.  I have all seven railroads entered as home roads; however, I do not know how to identify the stations and subdivisions for each home road.  I can only see how to enter the data for the core segment (FTW).

Am I missing something?  After the last two weeks, I can barely think straight.

Happy rails,

Mike C

Mike,

"Core segment" stations are entered at "The Railroad/Stations on ..." and "other railroad stations" are entered on the second option down "Stations on other subdivisions".   For you, "other subdivisions" are "other railroads".

First, you need a schematic of your entire mainline - all railroads.   Then you identify the "core segment".  Then you identify how "other subdivisions" hang off the "core", then in turn off the 'earlier' "other subdivisions".

Then enter data for the stations on the core segment.

Then enter data for "Subdivision junctions" (iteratively).  The first "other subivisions" junctions will be stations on the core segment.

Then enter data for stations on each of those other subdivisions (to provide junctions for the next 'layer' of other subdivisions).

OK?

~~~

If you scan me a copy of your schematic I can help with suggestions.

By the way I dug up that article about Tower 55.

Jim

July 6, 2015
6:45 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

Mike,

I have found the article about Tower 55, in February 1985 Trains.  I am looking at the figure "Who owns what at Tower 55" on page 41.

How close to that are you trying to get?

Jim

July 7, 2015
9:10 am
friscomike
Admin

Howdy,

Attached is a scan of what we used as a guide to design the Texas Western.  In the mean time, I am adding staging, etc to a traditional railroad diagram.

Best regards,

mike

TX-RR-MAP-ARCH-D.compressed.pdf

July 7, 2015
11:57 am
Jim Moir
Admin

Mike,

>to a traditional railroad diagram

Actually you are building a _network_.

ProTrak will model a single railroad and/or a network of railroads.   Now you are using the network capabilities.

OK?

Jim

July 7, 2015
12:36 pm
friscomike
Admin

Indeed. Network is a much better description. Thanks Jim, mike c

------ Original message------From: ProTrak.org Date: Tue, Jul 7, 2015 11:57 AMTo: friscomike@hotmail.com;Subject:Forum Post - ProTrak.org: [Experimental Update for Multiple Home Railroads - Build 316]

July 7, 2015
4:01 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

>Attached is a scan of what we used as a guide

Mike,

I printed out your scan.  OK...I get it you are modeling all of Texas.  Of course!   

Do you have a sketch of what the main lines are that actually will be built within the club's four walls?

Jim

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489