Overhead car-orders, for all cars-kinds - Update 329 - April 16th, 2016 | User Updates | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Overhead car-orders, for all cars-kinds - Update 329 - April 16th, 2016
April 16, 2016
3:34 pm
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

To prevent cars from ping-ponging - empty - in and out of the same track/region there must be car-orders/waybills for all possible car-kinds that can get routed to that staging track/region.

This Update adds a button that checks the car-kind for car-orders/waybills assigned for OV traffic.   Clicking this button looks at all cars either in, or being routed towards, the selected staging track.   Those routed car-kinds are compared to the car-kinds for the assigned waybills/car-order.

If the car-orders/waybills already assigned cover a car-kind then nothing happens.

If the car-orders/waybills do not cover a car-kind, all available waybills (in the list of waybills) are compared, and if a match is found, and the waybill originates in that staging, that waybill is assigned as OV traffic for that staging.

When the analysis is complete (~ 10 to 60 seconds) a pane appears listing a) the number of car-orders/waybills assigned, and b) the  number of new waybills that you ~may need to create.   Close the pane by clicking the "Close" button.  

New car-orders/waybills will be be those at the bottom of the list of assigned car-orders/waybills.  You may either delete the car-order (delete radio button at bottom of window) or increase the number of cars ordered, up from 1.

There is a simple list that can be printed of car-kinds that ~may be required.   "May" because you may have cars that should depart empty from that staging.  Note the "Print" button in this new pane.

~~~~

Note that you may need to create more than one waybill for a car-kind.... depending on capacity, volume or length of possible cars or any pool restrictions....such as any assigned commodity.   The car-distributor will check these items and may not assign a car that does not meet these requirements.

OK?

Jim

April 16, 2016
4:56 pm
Nashville
Members
Forum Posts: 248

Sounds great to me, thank you much, Jim. Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 4:34 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

Look out for #1 but don't step in #2!!

April 17, 2016
7:05 am
Jim Moir
Admin

Please provide feedback.  

I have seen some things that need to be changed... e.g. if the staging-track has all the carkinds it needs, there is no feedback indication.   I have made the "button" come back on.  Also I just noticed that the program is assigning non-OV waybills.  That has been changed.

~~~

Perhaps the print-out could be enhanced, with more information.   Do you have any ideas?  What would you like to see?

Thanks,

Jim

April 17, 2016
10:26 am
Nashville
Members

Hi Jim, One thing that I had a bit of a problem with when we were resetting the railroad last Friday was that the guys were confusing the car inventory number with the actual car number.  In all the years that I've been using the program, I can't remember a time when the inventory number was helpful and was more a distraction.  Also, it is program originated data, not actual railroad info. On reports where the car inventory number is listed and the car kind is not, it would be very helpful if car kind replaced the inventory number.   One particular form would be the printed train consist in the Reblocking window.  I print those out for every train when I prep them for the next session. Love all the updates that you are doing for us. Best, Andy  Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

April 17, 2016
1:31 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

> On reports where the car inventory number is listed and the car kind is not, it would be very helpful if car kind replaced the inventory number.

Could you please provide me an example report, where the kind is not listed (and the list# is)?

Thanks,

Jim

April 17, 2016
2:06 pm
Nashville
Members

Jim, in the Transportation/ Reblock Trains window, you can print each train in staging.  I use this one as I prepare for a session or update the consist in the staged trains.   There is no car kind in this report and it would be very helpful identifying cars in the train when you are Reblocking the train in staging. Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

April 17, 2016
3:06 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

OK.   The on-screen has the carkind in the 4th column, but it is not printed.

I will change that now.

Thanks,

Jim      

April 17, 2016
4:26 pm
Nashville
Members

Great, thanks, Jim.  That will be very helpful. Best, Andy 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 4:06 PM, ProTrak.org wrote:

Best, Andy Keeney

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489