printing "Jobs" by segment of journey - Upfate 345 this week | User Updates | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
printing "Jobs" by segment of journey - Upfate 345 this week
February 10, 2017
10:34 am
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A new feature was added to ProTrak with this week's Update.  On the "manual train scheduling" window, there is a new button "Print as Jobs".  See, from the main menu, "Scheduling/Manual Scheduling - Running Times".

The "Print as Jobs" function divides each job into segments from "Yd yard to Yd yard", taking into account the train's dwell time at a Yd yard. If the dwell time (time from arriving to leaving) is greater than 1/2 hour, this function makes a new segment.   The idea is that each segment could be under the control of a separate conductor/engineer (C&E).

The printing is by Departure Time. 

~~~

Some Explanation

As you know, the railroad here is three 500-ft divisions (actual feet).  That is can be a long haul and may be as far as a crew wishes to walk before sitting down.  Having jobs as segments gives crew a chance to hand-over the train to a new C&E crew.

The dwell time at Yd yard may be long, as the yard crews work the train.  If the work is more than a simple block-swap and/or there is some blocking to re-done (e.g. for dynamics) the waiting-around time may be more than a C&E crew is willing to wait - and it may put the yard-crew under some unnecessary time pressure.  Having train C&E crew swap out, between job segments will relieve the yard-crew from time pressure.

Having the train C&E crew "get down off their locomotive", handing the train-job off, clearly delineates between "train work" and "yard work".  This emphasizes to the train-crew that their paperwork is valid only for that one job-segment (to that yard) and that their train-consist is not yard-paperwork.

If you run your railroad, as I do, between 'formal' operating sessions, this print-out provides organization as to which trains to run where - in a manner that simulates the train-interactions of an actual operating session.  i.e. the printout tells me to run PMBAR to Baden Yd - then stop, as the train is worked there.  Then this schedule tells me to run BODT to St.J  and stop while it is worked there.   And so on.

The print-out shows the segment number for each job segment.  The most complicated train-jobs here have 5 segments.  In the example above I could run any of 6 other trains on their first segment, before I should run either PMBAR or BODT to their next segment.

~~~

An added benefit is that this list more plainly shows which Yd yards are scheduled to handle a lot of trains at the same time - thus causing me to re-think the line-up.

And of course, you can ignore some of the job segments and just have the crew "run through".  The scheduled dwell time at each Yd is shown on the print-out.  A short dwell may mean "run through".  A long time dwell time may mean "job done"!

Jim

P.S.  "Scheduling/Manual Scheduling - Running Times" is one of three methods for entering train schedules.  This may be the easiest method.

February 10, 2017
4:54 pm
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Jim,

Did you forget to update the Help / About ProTrak in your Feb 8-th update?

Joe

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489