Update 317 - July 22, 2015 | User Updates | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Update 317 - July 22, 2015
July 22, 2015
9:16 am
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

1)  This Update adds:

"State" names for Australia.   We have a number of ProTrak community members from the land-of-snow.

There are three "dropdown" datafields in ProTrak where one can select the state or province.

2) This Update corrects an issue with car-loading for OV (staging-to-staging) traffic.   If one had multiple staging tracks assigned to the same region and all the car-orders for that region were assigned to the 2nd, 3rd or subsequent staging-track, none of the car-orders were used.   This Update corrects this.

~~~

So far there have been no changes required for the new (316) "Multiple Home railroads" functions.

Jim

July 22, 2015
2:30 pm
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95

Hi Jim,

I'm currently setting up my Multiple RR, with #1 CASO (local Cdn traffic),  CPR (overhead freight and passenger traffic), C&O (overhead freight traffic), PM (local Cdn traffic), and NYC (Overhead passenger and freight traffic).  In both cases, I've separated the CASO from the NYC and the PM from the C&O so that the high number of cars with these reporting marks do not overwhelm the two major yards on  the layout.  Empties with these marques are flowing nicely to their respective staging tracks and I don't want to fool with these.  In the multiple roads sections, I have not added any default/home yard for these two railroads, nor for the CPR as well.  I presume that new cars or redirected cars will continue to be sent automatically to the yard on the first screen (ie St. Thomas Yd, the main yard on the layout), they just won't be used for storage of empties.  And the NYC, CPR and C&O reporting marks will continue to be loaded preferentially on the layout over home road cars.

For passenger equipment, I have identified Detroit's Coach Yard as the passenger default on the first admin screen.  This will continue to be fine for me, as all the passenger trains of the CPR and the NYC visit Detroit daily.  Plus, I don't have any other convenient place for either of them. 

Do I have all this conceptually correct???

One issue is the schematic map.  There are two inches of blank space on the left side of the map, but on the right side, the vertical foreign branch from the last CASO station is right against the margin.  Could you give me an inch or two there so that I can read the station names and/or add another sub-branch?

Thanks

John Mitchell

Modeling the NYC (CASO), C&O (PM) and CPR in Detroit and SW Ontario

July 23, 2015
2:53 pm
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489

John,

>I'm currently setting up my Multiple RR, with #1 CASO (local Cdn traffic),  CPR (overhead freight and passenger traffic), C&O (overhead freight traffic), PM (local Cdn traffic), and NYC (Overhead passenger and freight traffic).  In both cases, I've separated the CASO from the NYC and the PM from the C&O so that the high number of cars with these reporting marks do not overwhelm the two major yards on  the layout.  ..... In the multiple roads sections, I have not added any default/home yard for these two railroads, nor for the CPR as well. 

Curious as to how that is working out.

In this new "multiple home railroad" function the program is checking to see if data has been entered (i.e. a second homeroad has been entered) and if data has been entered then the function is applied.   (If you don't enter any multiple homeroad data the function is ignored.)   It appears that you have entered data, so the program (ProTrak) is looking for the associated yards and isn't finding any, so the program is finding the home staging destinations.   Is that what is happening?

Jim

July 23, 2015
7:26 pm
casowest
Members
Forum Posts: 95

Jim,

No, none of the above is happening because I'm still in the early stages of setting it up.  I always ran it as a CASO (not associated with the NYC or any other railway).  Then I had branches for the CPR (freight and passenger), branches for the C&O (EW and NS), along  with the CASO branches to Leamington and Courtright.  All these Rwys ran over the CASO for their runs in Canada. 

Its a bridge Rwy,  so I have a lot of staging tracks - 5 for CPR Toronto passenger, 2 for Toronto freight, 5 for East NYC passenger and 6 for west NYC passenger, 5 each for NYC and C&O overhead freight in the west and east - 26 in all, but I think I've forgotten a few because some real tracks have two staging designations.  Thus, each has its own region and specific trains that tend to be fairly unique.  I've always been able to direct specific empties to specific tracks.  All the reefers go back to Det2s, no  matter where they end up on the layout or which Rwy delivered them.  NYC and C&O empties go back to specific stg tracks, as do the odds and sods of NE railroads.  Very much different from Andy, who empties out his main yard by sending empties on several trains to several staging tracks, but all in the same region.  Whereas my overhead freights have 15 cars, but only drop/pu 2-3 cars in the main yard as they pass thru Canada, so its better to have unique regions for each stg track  and its relevant train.

I kept the NYC separate from the CASO so that the NYC empties would flow to the staging tracks and not end up being stored in the main yard as empties.  The same thing happened for the C&O.  However, now that I have multiple Rwys, I need to separate the C&O from the PM, as I don't want all the C&O cars stored on the layout in the PM yard.

Now that I think about it, I  probably should set it up as CASO, PM and CPR as multiple Rwys on the layout,  then simply use the NYC and C&O as having trackage rights across  the layout.  I do have NYC customers, as well as extensive loco facilities in  Detroit, so maybe I should add it as a multiple rwy, but  there is no need for the C&O (nor for the B&O which has two passenger trains arrive in Detroit while going from stg to stg).

As you can see, I ran it as a multiple Rwy layout, so this is a welcome development in PT.

The bottom line is that I haven't seen PT doing anything yet.

But in going thru this setup, I'm noticing other things that are giving me problems (such as the right margin in the schematic map).  I'll  bring them up later with you.

Thanks  John

July 23, 2015
7:55 pm
hunter48820
Admin
Forum Posts: 23

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the OV traffic update.  I have a session this weekend and am cutting the crew number down a little so we don't have to worry about keeping everyone busy and hopefully give the DS and YMs more time to do their work.  Still looking at possibly slowing the clock to a 1 to 1 speed.  Won't drop it all the way at once since the layout time system will allow us to reduce the hours by tenths so we can slowly drop the speed to one that works best for us.

Almost into the 8th month already!! Will be on my way to Canada before we know it!  See you then!!Wink

Best, Andy

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489