Update 318 posted, "Manual Running Times" and fast-clock analysis added | User Updates | Forum

Welcome to the ProTrak User Community Support Forum . The forum is designed around the chapters in The Manual. Please post your questions in the appropriate subforums. You may "Subscribe" to topics and reply by email.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Update 318 posted, "Manual Running Times" and fast-clock analysis added
August 8, 2015
1:51 pm
Jim Moir
Admin
Forum Posts: 489
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Update 318, which includes the "manual running times" and the analysis for suggested fast-clock ratio has been posted.

Explanation to come.....

Looking forward to your comments.

Jim

August 8, 2015
4:14 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

Part 1.

ProTrak previously had two ways for entering Time-Table data.  One method was tabular input and the other was on the string-diagram.  Both of these methods used the actual distances between stations, and train speed, to calculate the travel time between stations and across the railroad.

A third method has been added, "manual running times".  This method allows any time to be entered at a station, regardless of train speed and regardless of distances.  It is also easier to use.

You have three columns, of dropdowns, "station name", "arrival time" and "departure time".   You can enter data for up to 20 stations.   There are no restrictions on data entry; you can enter nonsensical data if you choose.

The "timetable" and "string-diagram" data is always recorded in the "Manual.###" files (in the RS folder).  It is the same data for the timetable and the string-diagram.

The new "manual running times" method allows you read and store data in the same data files (Manual.###") or you can store the data in separate files (Running.###)   "###" is the train list number.   To select where you store the manual running time data, at the top of the new window, choose by clicking the appropriate radio button.   The data location is selected separately for each train.

~~~

Process.

1) Open the new manual running times window, under "Scheduling/ Manual Scheduling - Running Times".

2) Select "Running times" (files separate from Time-Table or string-diagram), or "for Scheduling" (will use the Manual.### files).

3) Select the train, from the dropdown list.

4) The first departure station is already selected, along with the deapture time, based on the train initial station and calltime.

Select a second station, arrival time and departure time.  

5) Repeat, to the terminating station, where there is only an arrival time.

6) Click "Save Data".  

7) Select another train, enter its station and times and Save Data.

8) Click "Close Scheduling to close the window. 

Jim

August 8, 2015
4:32 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

Part 2.

ProTrak has had methods and windows for optimizing an operating session for about 20 years.  These methods are found under "Scheduling/Show current crew assignments".  There are two windows, showing how many crew will be utilized (other than yardcrews) and/or are required.  The analysis is based on the train starting time and train terminating time.

You can use the new "manual running times" window to enter the required data ->> times at just _two_ stations.

Following the procedure above, select a train and (for the second station) select its terminal station and arrival time.  Save Data.

Repeat for all the trains in your line-up.

Now... click on "Scheduling/Show current crew assignments".  

If you have entered the manual running times in the "Running times" data (the radio button), click the new checkbox at the bottom of the first button "Use Running Times data (rather than Time Table data).   The graph will clear and re-draw using the "Running.###"  data.  Un-click and the analysis will use the Time-Table/String-digram/Manual.### data.

~~~

To optimize your session, I suggest having everyone busy all the time.  Move the train call times (starting times), so that the graph is as horizontal across the page as possible (window is titled "Crew Assignments: Moving Trains Plot").

This plot will also tell you how many handhelds (throttles) you need.

Note that the new Manual Running Times data entry allows you to include yard-positions in this session-optimization analysis. 

Jim

August 9, 2015
3:16 am
Mark Stafflrd
Members
Forum Posts: 58

Jim this new method looks like it is going to work in incredibly well suited to me inputting real timetable information into to Protrak.   I like the idea of at least starting with the real thing.   Thats what I love about this software!

Mark

August 10, 2015
12:35 pm
Joe-SVL
Members
Forum Posts: 243

Jim,

Neat addition to the scheduling process.  I had a little trouble with it but got things straightened out (mostly).  

Question: 1. I now have a Manual.011 and a Running.011 file in my RS folder.  I do not want the Running.011 file.  Can I just delete it from the RS folder?

Question 2.  When I went into Operations I noticed that the train lineup had not picked up the new start time for the train that I had just schedule with your new method. It still showed a 7:00 am departure which is left over from my work several months ago.  The new Start time is 2:15 pm.  Any suggestion on what I should do.

thanks

Joe B

Orlando, FL

August 10, 2015
4:25 pm
Jim Moir
Admin

Joe,

Q1:  You may manually delete the file.   Even if it is not deleted, thye "Running.###" files are only called from a) the manual running times window, or b) the Expected Crew Call  window.

Q2:  If you changed the calltime in the "Edit train" window, you need to form a new line-up to see that new calltime in the Operations Line-up.  Is that what you were asking?

Jim

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 189

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Nashville: 248

Joe-SVL: 243

casowest: 95

Jim Brewer: 92

Mark Stafflrd: 58

Bob: 53

Fred: 43

John V: 43

jjoyce1: 32

Peter Jackson: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 259

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 13

Topics: 432

Newest Members:

Fred52, ferretjack, Frank, bcole_-8@rogers.com, frich1230, waffle2@mac.com, innovativerc@gmail.com, KRFARRINGTON, George Giles, NandWSRY55

Administrators: earlyrail: 71, friscomike: 130, webmaster: 1, hunter48820: 23, Jim Moir: 489